The 5S model, sometimes known as the five pillars of the visual workplace, is a systematic approach to workplace organization. The intent of the 5S model is simple – have only what you need on hand, create a designated place for all materials, implement standard procedures, and remain disciplined enough to uphold it all.
What Each "S" Stands For
- Sort: The removal of all items in the workplace that are unnecessary for current production.
- Set in order: The proper arrangement of necessary items. The proper arrangement means that items are easy to find and store; for example, placing frequently used items nearest to the employees.
- Shine: Ensuring that the items/tools are clean, functioning, and ready for use.
- Standardize: The approach used to maintain sort, set in order, and shine.
- Sustain: Developing the habit of properly maintaining standard procedures.
How the 5S Model Benefits Your Manufacturing Business
The 5S model creates fewer defects, less waste, fewer delays, fewer injuries, and fewer breakdowns. MOST IMPORTANTLY, 5S leads to employee empowerment and a Lean mindset. Over time, these advantages translate into lower costs and higher quality.
How to Apply the 5S Model to Data
Consider the data in your ERP system – do you have obsolete customer, vendor, and item information? Do you have financial history that is no longer relevant, crystal reports that you longer use, and outdated receivables, payables, sales orders, and inventory? Finally, do you have offline systems and documents (Microsoft Excel sheets being the most common example) that support your critical business operations? Applying the 5S model to ERP data is worthwhile for the same reasons found on the shop floor – cleaner data translates into less wasted time, improved accuracy, higher quality, and employee empowerment.
So, is it time to clean up your data?
Do you think you would benefit from applying the 5S model to your ERP? If so, the experts at Acuity would love to discuss your current processes and implement the solution best for your business! Contact us today for more information. Contact us today for more information.